PERIOD FROM NOVEMBER 8, 1942 TO DECEMBER 26, 1942.

               AREA: Dog (East).

               OPERATION ORDER:  ComSubPac SECRET Dispatch 041947 of
               November 1942 and ComTaskFor 42 SECRET dispatch 150805
               of November 1942.


               Arrived Pearl Harbor on October 17, 1942, from first
               war patrol.  Commenced refit on October 18 with U.S.S.
               SPERRY repair forces.  Shifted to Submarine BASE, Pearl
               on October 22, to complete refit, which was completed
               on November 2.  Three day training period and readiness
               for sea on November 8.  Installed 4 inch gun and two 20
               mm. guns.

     1.        NARRATIVE:

November 8 -   0900(VW)  Underway for patrol in company with small
               escort vessel P-28.  Made trim dive, received
               indoctrinational depth charge, made structural test
               firings of 4 inch gun, and fired 10 rounds of target
               ammunition for training.  Sighted numerous planes and
               ships during the day.  The escort returned to port at

November 9 -   Sighted U.S.Navy patrol planes at 0700, 0710, and 1250,
               all times Xray.

November 14 -  Passed to command of ComSoPac at zero hours zed at Lat.
               7-50N; Long. 176-15E.

November 16-   Having run submerged during part of 14th and all of
               15th daylight periods in passing Mili, decided to run
               on the surface; MILI, JALUIT and MAKIN all being about
               120 miles distant.  At 1020(M) contacted airplane at 6
               miles on radar and submerged.

November 20-  Arrived in patrol area Dog (East) as directed by
              ComTaskFor 150805 of November.  Sea condition 6, wind
              force 6, visibility low, and rains frequent.  Continued
              submerged patrol.

November 22-  Sighted BOUGAINVILLE Island to southwest at a distance
              of about 75 miles.  Sea and wind moderating.

November 23-  1711(K)  O.O.D. sighted an object believed to be a
              periscope.  It was in sight for but a few seconds, and
              no further evidence was noted which would indicate the
              presence of an enemy.  BOUGAINVILLE and BUKA Islands
              were in sight at this time.

November 30-  At 2030(K) in Lat. 4d 55's; Long. 154-49E sighted the
              smoke of a ship bearing 150dT. distance estimated at
              8000 yards.  Changed course to head for the smoke.  The
              night was quite dark; sky partially overcast and
              threatening thunderstorms.  Brilliant flashes of
              lightning at irregular intervals illuminated the sea
              and horizon on all bearings.  The smoke and the target
              were not visible except during these flashes.  At 2040
              a brilliant lightning flash revealed the source of the
              smoke: A high hull, low superstructure vessel of
              considerable size, giving the appearance of a lightly
              burdened freighter or transport; angle on the bow about
              10d starboard, range about 6000 yards.  Neither sound
              nor radar were able to pick up the target.  A destroyer
              escort was on station on the port bow of the target.
              Dived.  At 2043 sound operator reported echo ranging,
              long scale, at true bearing of 070d, 280d relative.
              Started swinging left.  At 2046 the second sound
              operator reported echo ranging on true bearing of 169d,
              and shortly thereafter gave a propeller count of 120
              RPM on that bearing.  As this was apparently the target
              group sighted we commenced swinging right.  Commenced
              sound tracking.  Great difficult was had in picking up
              the target or its escort by periscope, due to the
              necessity of being trained on the proper bearing at the
              instant of a lightning flash.  Sound bearings proved
              inadequate for this until at 2056 a flash revealed a
              destroyer bearing 216dT, angle on the bow 90d
              starboard, range estimated at 3000 yards.  As gyro
              angles were about 50d right and range indeterminate,
              did not fire.  Swung right for a straight shot on a
              large track, but could not swing fast enough to even
              get a reasonable shot.  At 2100 all echo ranging
              stopped.  This was essentially a sound approach.
              Attack was essentially a sound approach.  Attack
              position was lost by the time the first periscope
              information was obtained. Radar was not used because it
              failed originally to pick up target, and tests off
              Pearl Harbor showed that even at short ranges the
              entire conning tower and bridge structure must be out
              of the water to obtain a contact.  The approach was
              unsuccessful partly due to inaccurate, inadequate, and
              confused sound information and partly due to the
              failure to appreciate the true nature of the approach
              until too late, clinging to the hoe that lightning
              flashes would provide data for a more accurate

December 2-   At 0028(K) while 18 miles east of cape HENPAN, sound
              picked up propellers bearing 245dT, which bearing
              changed progressively to 180dT in 4 minutes.  Moon was
              shinning brightly and visibility was sufficiently good
              to see CAPE HENPAN, and nothing could be sighted.
              Propeller beat verified by several operators at 130
              RPM.  Sound must have been made by some submerged
              object very close aboard, probably a fish.

December 7-   Having patrolled the BUKA-KILINAILAU for seventeen (17)
              days with but one contact decided to move eastward and
              patrol the direct route between TRUK and the SHORTLANDS
              for a few days.  At 2036(K) in Lat. 5-20 S; Long. 155-
              55 E, picked up propellers on sound.  Propellers
              started suddenly, worked up to about 120 RPM and faded
              slowly.  There was a high background noise on that
              bearing for about 5 minutes, which faded gradually.  It
              sounded as it we had flushed a stationary submarine,
              which dove on contact.

December 8-   At 0220(K) in Lat. 5-20 S; Long. 156-15 E, sound picked
              up echo ranging to northward.  At 0230 radar reported
              contact at 062dT at a range of 18,000 yards, which
              contact was then lost.  Came to normal approach course.
              At 0237 sound and radar contacted target and commenced
              tracking, radar data being intermittent.  At 0245
              sighted target bearing 082dT, range 14,000 by radar,
              angle on the bow about 80d starboard.  Target was a
              large tanker, loaded, and headed in the general
              direction of the SHORTLANDS, zig-zagging.  Echo ranging
              was heard continuously from the target's general
              direction.  Target speed computed to be 13 knots.  At
              0305 range had closed to 6000 yards on a track and true
              bearing of 145d starboard when radar contacted the
              escort astern of tanker.  At 0307 echo ranging stopped.
              The approach being over submerged to 40 feet and
              tracked by radar and sound.  Kept radar contact on AO
              but lost it on escort at this depth.  In analyzing this
              approach it is apparent that is was over at the time
              the target was sighted, a fact which was not realized
              for twenty minutes thereafter.  The performance of the
              radar and sound were gratifying.  This being the
              important target we had moved east to get, we now
              headed west to return to the passage between BUKA and

December 10-  (Attack No. 1)  At 1457 while in Lat. 4d-56' S; Long.
              154-58 E, sighted heavy smoke bearing 293d T at
              distance of about 16 miles.  For the first in ten days
              sea conditions were ideal for attack, with roughened
              surface and many whitecaps.  Shifted position to
              northward and got ahead of the formation.  Sound
              conditions fair to poor.  The source of the smoke
              turned out to be a convoy of three AK's, of tonnages
              approximating 8500, 6000, and 4000, escorted by one
              ASASHIO class DD.  The ships were heavily loaded and
              headed for the SHORTLAND area.  The formation was zig-
              zagging by simultaneous ships movements with the DD
              patrolling a front about two (2) miles wide at a mean
              distance of about 1000 yards ahead of the leading AK.
              Originally we decided to attack the DD first, but
              although he passed us at a range of about 300 yards his
              maneuvers were too radical for a good shot.  Picked out
              the largest AK as a target, swung to a large track to
              open the range, and at 1627(K) fired a spread of four
              (4) torpedoes at a range of 700 yards on 120d starboard
              track, bow tubes.  Three torpedoes hit, which was just
              as well because even then he took nearly two (2) hours
              to sink.  The second target passed about 300 yards
              astern during this firing.  Made a setup to fire the
              stern tubes at third AK, but DD got pretty close before
              we could fire.  Started down.  DD laid first depth
              charge pattern across our stern as we passed 120 feet.
              They were fairly close aboard.  The main induction
              trunk flooded, the bridge speaker flooded, some lights
              were knocked out, a small circulation water line
              carried away in the pump room, and some odd nuts,
              bolts, paint, etc. flew around.  He continued making
              passes and dropping depth charges.  As we passed 250
              feet and blew negative the gasket on the inboard vent
              carried away.  The flood valve did not hold, and we
              went to 350 feet.  By using negative vent stops and
              locking the flood valve closed by hand it remained dry
              the second time.  Ran silent on reverse of convoy's
              course, maneuvering to avoid attacks.  Depth charges
              dropped in varying numbers at following times: 1630,
              1635, 1636, 1638, 1645, 1650, 1651, 1653, 1656, 1705,
              1717, 1724, 1726, 1729, 1730, 1731, 1732, 1735, 1743,
              and 1745.  Total charges dropped were about 40, some
              fairly close, but after 1700 they began to fall further
              astern.  At 1726 came to periscope depth for
              observation.  One AK was standing down the coast, one
              was just beyond the target picking up survivors, and
              the DD was patrolling the area dropping depth charges
              periodically.  The target was on even keel, with both
              wells under water, about 2 feet of the bow and stern
              visible, and the high part of the bridge and stack
              visible.  There were about ten (10) boats in the water.
              Observed target continue to settle until dark, and at
              1815 heard the bulkheads go.  The watertight integrity
              of this ship must have been remarkable.  Issued ration
              of 1/2 once rum to the crew.  Surfaced after moonset at
              2030 and moved off to  north.  Target identified as
              being similar to SYOEI MARU, which is listed in ONI-
              208-J as 5624 gross tons and in "RECOGNITION OF
              JAPANESE MERCHANTMEN" dated February 12, 1942 as 8748
              gross tons.  It was a pretty big ship.  At 2215
              received SUBS 42 NR 73A concerning probable ships
              movements in our area.  Assumed this to be the convoy
              already contacted and continued moving to northeast.
              At 2340 received SUBS 42 NR 75A extending area.
              Started general movement in direction of new area.
              Decided to move in slowly to give the crew a chance to
              recover from effects of depth charging.

December 12-  At 0235 in Lat. 4-29N; Long. 156-12E, sound picked up a
              noise similar to echo ranging.  Shortly thereafter a
              cargo ship was sighted and picked up by radar bearing
              087dT, angle on the bow 90d port, range 10,000 yards.
              At 0245 angle on the bow became 150d port.  Radar track
              for 30 minutes gave a mean course of about 020dT, speed
              13.  Ship was plainly visible during this time, and we
              trailed on the quarter.  As a course of 020d was
              heading for no known Japanese base, we expected a
              course change.  Did not close range because of
              excellent visibility.  Trailing was doing no good and a
              decision had to be reached prior to daylight.  At 0305
              decided to get on his track to the SHORTLAND area in
              case he was at a rendezvous with an escort and would
              proceed in that direction at daylight.  He apparently
              continued to northeast, as that is the last we saw of
              him.  Ship was of medium size with a single stack
              amidships, coal burner, and gave an appearance of being
              loaded.  It is believed that the noise heard was a
              fathometer, and that he was unescorted.  This noise was
              heard continuously after once picked up.  Sound
              conditions were not good, no propellers were ever
              heard.  The radar contact was fair to good, and once
              contact was established it gave fairly good information
              up to a range of about 12,000 yards.  The bridge T.B.T.
              was used as a check.

December 14-  At 0815(K) sighted hospital ship similar to MANILA MARU
              in Lat. 6-22N; Long. 156-13 E, heading for the
              SHORTLANDS on course 190d.  Ship was properly marked,
              was on a steady course at steady speed, was unescorted,
              and there were no aircraft in the air.  This conformed
              to International Law.  When identification was
              completed at a range of about 8500 yards we broke off
              the approach and turned away.  Sound conditions were
              bad.  The ship passed us about 3500 yards abeam and her
              propellers were never heard.

December 14-  (Attack No. 2)  At 1321(K), sighted a submarine on the
              surface in Lat. 6-30S; Long. 156-09E, on course 015d
              departing the SHORTLAND area.  Range estimated at 3000
              yards speed 12.  We just had time to swing and shoot.
              Fired 6 minutes and 46 seconds after sighting.  During
              the swing, submarine was positively identified as
              Japanese by the large flag and the designation I2
              painted on the side of the conning tower.  Firing range
              800 yards, fired divergent spread of three torpedoes.
              First torpedo hit about 20 feet forward of conning
              tower 37 seconds after firing.  Ship went down with
              personnel still on the bridge.  Two and one half
              minutes after the torpedo explosion the submarine
              collapsed at deep depth with a noise considerably
              loader than the torpedo explosion.  Apparently some of
              the W.T. doors had been shut.  There was no counter-
              attack.  At time of sighting the visibility was poor
              due to rain squalls, the sea in condition 3, and sound
              terrible.  Even at 800 yards the targets propellers
              could not be heard.  This attack was brought to a
              successful end largely through the splendid
              coordination of four officers, whose performance was
              outstanding.  They were:

                   Lieut. G.W. Grider - O.O.D. and Diving Officer
                   Lieut. R.H. O'Kane - A.A.O.
                   Lieut. R.W. Paine - T.D.C. Operator
                   Lt.Cmdr. D.W. Morton - A.A.O.

December 15-  Decided to let the area of the submarine sinking cool
              off so went over and looked into KIETA Harbor.  There
              were no ships visible inside the port.  While in that
              vicinity sighted the masts of a steamer at 1535(K),
              ship hull down, headed in a generally northward
              direction.  It had apparently come out of the SHORTLAND
              area.  Range was too great to determine the presence of
              an escort.  Nothing was heard on sound.  Masts were in
              sight for about 20 minutes.  During the inspection of
              KIETA several tall towers resembling radio,
              directionfinder, or radar towers were noted, on the 460
              meter peak of BAKAWARI Island.

December 17-  At 0205(K) while patrolling in Lat. 5-45 S; Long 156-13
              E, picked up echo ranging.  The moon had set and the
              night was clear and dark, with the sea a flat calm.
              Closed the sound by surface running and at 0241 sighted
              a small ship believed to be a small destroyer or escort
              vessel.  Range at sighting estimated to be 4000 yards.
              Sound conditions were spotty, with the propeller sounds
              fading in and out - mostly out.  Radar could not pick
              up the ship.  At time of sighting we were about 20d
              abaft his beam, and while watching he zigged away.
              there were no ships in company.  As a stern chase on
              the surface on an echo ranging anti-submarine vessel
              which is zigzagging has small merit, we broke off the

December 19-  Cleared area Dog (south) at 2000(K) ad directed by Subs
              42 - Serial 78 Afirm [sic].

December 20-  At 0030(K) while about 30 miles East of BUKA Island we
              picked up a plane by its motor noise.  SD radar not
              manned at the time.  Submerged for one hour.  This was
              the first indication of aircraft activity we had
              encountered in the area.  At 2000(K) cleared area
              Dog(east) for BRISBANE in accordance with Subs 42
              serial 11 cast as modified by serial 78 afirm [sic].

December 21-  Sighted lights believed to be aircraft flares to
              westward of BUKA Island at 0010 and 0022.  At 0138(K)
              contacted airplane on radar at 2 miles and submerged
              for one hour.  At 1650(K) sighted smoke bearing 048dT.
              Position Lat. 6-20S; Long. 154-00E.  Closed on normal
              approach course until dark but never sighted any ships.
              At dark we were about ten miles into GROUPERS area.
              Broke off the approach and resumed assigned track.
              Ship apparently was enroute from RABAUL to the
              SHORTLANDS.  Received Subs serial 86 afirm [sic] at
              2015(K) requiring acknowledgement.  Acknowledged at
              0330(K) on 23rd.

December 23-  While running on surface in Lat. 12-06S; Long. 157-02E,
              picked up airplane on radar at 5 miles and then sighted
              it.  Plane was flying high in a cloudy sky, proceeding
              in a southerly direction.  He sighted us, turned and
              headed for as at a gliding angle.  Fired emergency
              rocket and flare.  He continued to close in and at a
              range of about two miles we submerged.  Believed plane
              to be friendly, but we don't even let a friendly plane
              come close unless he gives a clue that he recognizes
              us.  Stayed down for an hour and when we surfaced he
              was gone.

December 26-  Passed MORETON Island light for surface into BRISBANE
              at 0330 (Love).


                                 Attack # 1       Attack # 2
1.  Number of torpedoes fired        4                4

2.  Firing interval:             12"-9"=12"          9"-1

3.  Point of aim:                  M.O.T.            M.O.T.

4.  Track angles:               122dS, 125dS    78dP, 80dP, 82dP
                                127dS, 130dS

5.  Depth setting:             First two: 15'        All: 10'
                               Second two: 6'

6.  Estimated draft:                 23'              18'

7.  Torpedo performance:           Normal.           Normal.

8.  Estimated enemy speed:          11 kts.           12 kts.

9.  Results of attack:             3 hits.           1 hit.
                                Target sank.       Target sank.

10. Evidence of sinking:           Visual.           Visual.

11. Spread employed:             Divergent:         Divergent:
                             0d, 6dR, 6dL, 6dL.   0d, 4dL, 4dR.

12. Estimated firing range:    700-800 yds.           850 yds.

13. Gyro Angles:                    355d              359d
                                      8d              352d
                                    359d              357d

              Detailed data required is listed in table above.  There
were eight (8) contacts and two (2) attacks.  The two night contacts,
on November 30th and December 12th, should have resulted in attacks,
but we muffed the chances.  Anyhow, we did learn something about night
fighting, we hope.

         2.   WEATHER.

              Pearl Harbor to Solomans.  Normal.  Trade winds to
              MARSHALL then variable light winds.  Sea smooth,
              conditions 0 to 2.  Usual tropical rain squalls at
              frequent intervals.

              Off Solomans.

November 19-30     Ran into heavy sea with strong winds from westward,
                   which lasted until the 22nd.  Wind and sea then
                   moderated and became variable in force and direction
                   with short periods of calm during the shifts.
                   Temperature remained in the middle 80's, and the
                   humidity was low.  Visibility varied, being excellent
                   during the forenoon and limited by haze and rain
                   squalls during afternoon and evening.  In general, it
                   was good submarine weather.

December 1-10 Sea became clam, varying from 0 to 1, with humidity
              increasing until it became uncomfortable.  Winds were
              light and variable.  Visibility spotty with sky usually
              overcast and local rain squalls prevalent.

December 10-20     Variable.  Sea would change from calm through condition
                   3 and back and back to calm.  Land mostly obscured by
                   haze.  Moon extremely bright with corresponding
                   excellent night visibility.  Humidity reasonable.  Rain
                   squalls were frequent.

              Enroute to BRISBANE, AUSTRALIA.

         Calm Seam with moderate swell.  The normal Southeast
         Trades were encountered, the visibility remaining
         excellent day and night.  Infrequent rain squalls were


         The currents were never predictable, but a general
         trend was sometimes noted.  Off BUKA, the currents were
         to the North or Northeast from CAPE HENPAN to the
         longitude of KILINAILAU.  Between latitudes 5-00S and
         5-30S and longitudes 155-30E and 157-00E the currents
         were generally between Northeast and Southeast.  In the
         area North of BOUGAINVILLE STRAITS the currents were to
         South and Southeast, regardless of wind, sea, or tides.
         Drift varied from 0.4 to 1.0 knots.

         4.   NAVIGATIONAL AIDS.

              BUKA, BOUGAINVILLE AND KILINAILAU Islands were in sight
              at various times and the peaks and tangents were useful
              in establishing an approximate position.  KILINAILAU
              was visible for 8 or 10 miles and showed up well at
              night.  The Southern Reef is well covered with trees.
              The landmarks on BUKA plotted fairly well, especially
              off CAPE HENPAN.  A good fix was rarely obtained off
              BOUGAINVILLE.  The peaks were usually obscured by haze
              and the tangents never seemed to be in the same place
              twice.  The southeast coast of BOUGAINVILLE Strait
              provided excellent landmarks for establishing position.
              A general land haze in the area prevented the full use
              of these landmarks.  With the excellent night
              visibility prevalent no difficulty was experienced with
              ordinary celo-navigation.  The navigation officer fixed
              our position once or twice each night using ordinary


              1.   (a) 2030(K) November 30.
                   (b) One large AK with 1 or 2 DD escorts.
                   (c) Lat 4-55 S; Long. 154-49 E.
                   (d) Course 305d.
                   (e) Speed 13 knots.
                   (f) Empty cargo ship and escort from SHORTLANDS to

              2.   (a) 0220(K) December 8.
                   (b) AO similar to KYOKUTO MARU, with escort.
                   (c) Lat 5-20 S; Long. 156-15 E.
                   (d) Course 160d - 220d.
                   (e) Speed 18 knots.
                   (f) Loaded tanker and escort from EMPIRE to

              3.   (a) 1630(K) December 10.
                   (b) Convoy of 3 AK's escorted by one ASASHIO
                        class DD.
                   (c) Lat 4-56 S; Long. 154-58 E.
                   (d) Course 090d - 135d.
                   (e) Speed 11 knots.
                   (f) Ships enroute from RABAUL to SHORTLAND fully
                        Loaded.  Sunk one AK of about 8500 tons.  Ship
                        sunk was a one deck, split well, single stack
                        freighter, with prominent knigpost forward and
                        aft.  Kingposts were of the goalpost type with
                        mast in the center.  Stack was also very
                        prominent for height and lack of surrounding
                        superstructure.  Tentatively identified as
                        similar to SYOEI MARU and believed to be about
                        8500 tons.

              4.   (a) 0235(K) December 12.
                   (b) Medium sized cargo ship probably unescorted.
                   (c) Lat 4-29 N; Long. 156-12 E.
                   (d) Course 345d - 030d.
                   (e) Speed 13 knots.
                   (f) Picked up sound similar to echo ranging which
                        is believed to have been made by fathometer.
                        Ship apparently enroute EMPIRE from
                        SHORTLANDS, but seemed to be loaded.

              5.   (a) 0815(K) December 14.
                   (b) Hospital ship similar to MANILA MARU.
                   (c) Lat 6-22 N; Long. 156-13 E.
                   (d) Course 190d.
                   (e) Speed 12 knots.
                   (f) Ship conformed to Geneva Convention and in
                       accordance with directives of ComTaskFor 7 we
                       did not attack.

              6.   (a) 1321(K) December 14.
                   (b) Japanese Submarine I-2
                   (c) Lat 6-30 S; Long. 150-09 E.
                   (d) Course 015d.
                   (e) Speed 11 knots.
                   (f) Fired three torpedoes and sunk Target.  He was
                       proceeding singly on the surface leaving the

              7.   (a) 1535(K) December 15.
                   (b) Medium sized steamship.
                   (c) Lat 6-00 N; Long. 156-05 E.
                   (d) Course - northerly.
                   (e) Speed  - moderate.
                   (f) Sighted masts and stack of ship hull down.

              8.   (a) 0205(K) December 17.
                   (b) Small DD or escort vessel.
                   (c) Lat 5-45 S; Long. 156-13 E.
                   (d) Course - southerly.
                   (e) Speed  - moderate.
                   (f) Proceeding singly in the direction of


              1.   (a) Time and date - November 8.
                   (b) Type          - Various.
                   (c) Position      - Off Pearl Harbor.
                   (d) Course        - Various.
                   (e) Altitude      - Various.
                   (f) Remarks       - Normal operating planes.

              2.   (a) November 9 at 0700, 0710 and 1250.
                   (b) U.S. Navy PBY
                   (c) 200 - 250 miles SW of Pearl Harbor.
                   (d) SW in AM - NE in PM.
                   (e) 1000 - 2000 feet.
                   (f) Routine Patrols.

               3.  (a) November 16 at 1020(M).
                   (c) 150 miles SW of MILI ATOLL.
                   (f) Radar contact at 6 miles.

               4.  (a) 0030(K) December 20.
                   (c) 30 miles East of BUKA.
                   (f) Picked up by motor noise.

               5.  (a) 0138(K) December 21.
                   (c) 50 miles west of BUKA.
                   (f) Radar contact.

               6.  (a) 1110(K) December 23.
                   (b) Similar to British "Albermarle I" bombers.
                   (c) Lat. 11-50S; Long. 157-02E.
                   (d) Various.
                   (e) 10,000 to 15,000 feet.
                   (f) First picked up by radar at 4 miles.  Moved
                       out to five and a half miles, then came in.
                       Fired one recognition signal without apparent

         7.   SUMMARY OF S/M ATTACKS.

              Listed under paragraph 1 NARRATIVE.

         8.   ENEMY A/S MEASURES.

              (a)  Escort for AK sighted on November 20th apparently
              used echo ranging from about 2045 to 2100, was silent
              then started echo ranging again about 2145.  Echo
              ranging on 17 kcs, with pings at 8 second intervals.
              Passed about 3000 yards abeam without detection - zig-

              (b)  Escort for AO sighted on December 8th was echo-
              ranging continuously until we reached a point 6000
              yards on his quarter, at which time echo ranging
              ceased.  Zig-zagging.

              (c)  Convoy encountered on December 10th was zig-
              zagging by simultaneous ships movements in obedience to
              flag hoists on escorting DD.  Escort patrolled area
              across the front of the formation at high speed.  No
              echo ranging was heard.  Depth charge attacks after
              sinking of the one AK lasted for one hour 15 minutes,
              and DD probably expended all its depth charges.  After
              the first four or five attacks had been delivered in
              rapid succession around the firing point,  DD
              periodically stopped and listened for contact.
              Apparently our position was undetected once we cleared
              firing point.

              (d)  Cargo ship contacted on December 12 was zig-
              zagging, and was making a sound similar to echo ranging
              which is believed to have been a fathometer.  No escort
              was detected.

              (e)  The small DD or escort vessel encountered on
              December 17th was echo ranging and zig-zagging.  As he
              has headed in the general direction of the SHORTLANDS
              it is presumed that he had released a convoy to the
              northward and was proceeding to port.


              No minecraft or mining operations were noted.


              The gasket on the negative tank inboard vent carried
              away when the vent was opened under air pressure of 120
              lb.in2.  A retainer should be installed on gasket
              similar to that on the flood valve.

         11.  COMMUNICATION.

              Radio reception was very good and was compete.  Bells
              were copied on 44.8 kcs. and on the 5 megacycle band.
              The other frequencies were not as good and were seldom
              used.  Attempted to use the underwater loop for
              reception submerged on December 1.  Keel depth 56 feet;
              depth of loop 19 feet; distance to transmitting station
              1200 miles; frequency 44.6 kcs.  Faint signals were
              heard, but were unable to copy through high noise
              level. Used the loop for copying on surface and when
              running at 40 feet; signals were generally readable
              down to a depth of 55 feet.

              Last serial received 72. A 86. C 14. D 1. (Dec. 22ND,.

              Last serial sent     250305        .


              Sound conditions varied from very poor to excellent,
              with the conditions getting progressively worse near
              land.  The two extreme conditions were encountered on
              December 8th and 14th.  On the 8th propellers were
              heard at 15,000 yards, the location being 65 miles from
              land.  On the 14th propellers could not be heard at 800
              yards, the location being 5 miles off the channel of
              BOUGAINVILLE Straits.  The water was laden with
              vegetable  matter in suspension, the quantity
              increasing as the shore line was approached.  This
              resulted in a large number of fish, which were seen and
              heard almost constantly.  Fish noises caused the sound
              operators considerable trouble until they learned to
              recognize the variations.  Besides the usual clicks,
              wheezes, and whistles previously encountered, we
              frequently picked up a noise similar to a reciprocating
              engine with a loose bearing making from 120 to 140 RPM.
              This turned out to be from whales.  All observed
              temperature gradients were zero with a water
              temperature of 85d.  Density layers seemed to be
              present at various times, but were never highly
              pronounced.  A slight increase in speed or change in
              variable water was sufficient to change depth through
              all such layers encountered.


              The health of the crew was excellent throughout this
              patrol  Only six persons received treatment for colds,
              none of which passed the "sniffling" stage.  The only
              serious illness was one case of Cellulitis, left ankle,
              which was treated with hot MGSO4 dressings and a short
              course of Sulfathiazole.  Habitability was excellent
              during the entire patrol due to good functioning of the
              Air Conditioning Plant.  When the air conditioning
              units were shut down during the depth charge attack a
              marked discomfort was noted throughout the boat within
              a few minutes, although some sweating would doubtless
              have been noticeable in any case.  The average
              submerged temperature was 85d F.


              Miles steamed to station, 2987.
              Time enroute, 264.5 hours.
              Average speed enroute, 11.3 knots.
              Miles steamed from station, 1515.
              Time enroute, 127 hours.
              Average speed enroute, 11.9 knots.

         15.  FUEL EXPENDED.

              Fuel used enroute to station 29,912 gallons.
              Fuel rate of consumption 10.0 gal. 1 mile.
              Fuel expended on station 9430 gallons.
              Fuel expended enroute Brisbane 26,428 gallons.
              Fuel rate of consumption 17.4 gal. 1 mile.


              (a) Torpedoes       - 17
              (b) Fuel            - 26,050
              (c) Provisions      - 30 days.
              (d) Fresh water     - Unlimited.
              (e) Personnel       - 15 days.

         17.  TERMINATION.

              Patrol was ended by the provisions of the operation
              order.  No factor of endurance was reached.

         18.  REMARKS.

              Our weakness in night fighting was clearly brought out
              by this patrol  Although we had sunk on ship on our
              previous patrol at night, we missed two on this patrol
              through lack of perspective and just plain confusion.
              The experience gained should make us mort adept at this
              type of attack on future patrols.  From the contacts we
              made it is believed that much of the shipping into the
              SHORTLAND area is coming direct from the EMPIRE.  The
              general track seemed to be between course 000d and 015d
              with a focal point at about Lat. 6-30dS; Long. 156-10E.

TF42/A16-3              TASK FORCE FORTY-TWO

Serial   01249                         Care of Fleet Post Office,
                                       San Francisco, California,
                                       December 28, 1942


From:       The Commander Task Force Forty-Two.
To  :       The Commander in Chief, United States Fleet.
Via :       The Commander Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet.

Subject:    U.S.S. WAHOO (SS238), Second War Patrol, Comments on.

Enclosure:  (A) Copy of Subject Patrol Report.

    1.      Enclosure (A) is forwarded herewith.

    2.      The Wahoo completed her second war patrol on /December 26,
1942, having spent 46 days at sea and 29 days in the assigned area.

    3.      Eight contacts were made, of which only two were developed
into attacks, both of which resulted in sinkings.  However, it is
believed that at least three of the other contacts should have been
developed into attacks; namely on 30 November on the freighter, on 8
December on the large tanker, and again on December 12, speed should
have been used to close this apparently unescorted vessel.  It is
noted that the radar functioned exceptionally well and it appears that
this information was not used to best advantage to develop these

    4.      Sound conditions varied from poor to good; generally,
however, they were poor.

    5.      The WAHOO returned in excellent material condition.  The
current refit will be accomplished by the SPERRY (AS12).

    6.      The WAHOO is congratulated on sinking:

              1 freighter of SYOEI MARU Class  - 5644 tons.
              1 submarine (I-2)                - 1955 tons.

                                    JAMES FIFE, jr.

VCNO, Cinclant, Cincpac,
Comsowespac, Comsublant,
CSS 8 & 10, CSD 102, WAHOO File,
Each SS TF42 (not to be taken to sea, BURN),
Patrol Summary File, War Diary.

Back to Wahoo Home