Subject:      U.S.S.  WAHOO - Third War Patrol - Report of.


                            PROLOGUE TO

     Arrived BRISBANE, QUEENSLAND AUSTRALIA, December 26, 1942
after SECOND War Patrol and moored alongside USS SPERRY.  On
December 27, 1942, commenced refit by USS SPERRY, relief crew and ships
force.  Refit consisted mostly of routine items plus a few minor repairs.

     On December 312, 1942 Lieut.  Comdr., M.G. Kennedy was relieved as
Commanding Officer by Lieut. Comdr., D. W. Morton.

     Ship ready for sea on January 16, 1943.

     1. Narrative:

January 16th:  0900L Departed BRISBANE, QUEENLSLAND, AUSTRALIA.
1030L Commenced sound listening tests in MORETON BAY; 1500L Completed
sound tests. 1700L Transferred pilot and fell in company with our escort, USS
PATTERSON. 1945L Made trim dive.  2030L Commenced night surface runs
on our escort.  2306L Completed runs.  Set course for area at two engine
speed (80-90).  Still in company with our escort.

January 17th: 0807L Dived.  Commenced DD-SS run for USS PATTERSON;
1100L Made deep dive; no leaks.  1335L Dived.  Commenced torpedo practice
approaches on our escort.  1445L Upon surfacing and while starting #2 engine
for propulsion, flooded same, and put it out of commission (SEE
DERANGEMENT REPORT - Page 17).  1728L Completed runs.  Escort
departed.  Set course for area at two engine speed (80-90).

January 18th: 1315L Exchanged recognition signals with USS GRAMPUS.
COMTASK FORCE-TWO had advised us both that we would pass during the
night. 1030L #2 engine back in commission.  1400L Set clocks back -10 zone
time.  Conducted drills submerged and made frequent battle surfaces firing both
20mm guns and 4" gun while enroute to area.

January 19th:  2200K Speeded up to three engine speed (80-90) in order to
make the passage in VITIAZ STRAITS during daylight.  This will also, give us
an additional day to cover WEWAK and still arrive in area as directed.  The
additional fuel thus used is considered to be wisely expended.

January 21st:  1820K Dived on SD radar contact.  Upon reaching 70 feet stern
planes jammed on hard rise causing us to broach at 30 degree up angle.
Fortunately SD contact was false, the pip being an internal disturbance.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            PROLOGUE TO WEWAK

     Our Operation Order routed us through the vicinity of WEWAK, a more
or less undetermined spot located in whole degrees of latitude and longitude as
4 degrees S and 144 degrees E. Air reconnaissance had reported considerable
shipping there, and dispatches received enroute indicated continued use of this
area by the enemy.  The position of WEWAK HARBOR was determined as
behind KAIRIRU and NUSHU ISLANDS on the Northwest Coast of New Guinea
through the interest of D.C. KEETER, MMIc U.S. Navy who had purchased an
Australian "two-bit" school atlas of the area.

     Study of the harbor on our small scale chart immediately showed deep
water and unmistakable landmarks, with tempting possibilities for penetration
and escape. By making an accurate tracing slide, and using camera and signal
light as a projector, a large scale chart was constructed of the whole harbor.
All available information was transferred from sailing directions to this chart.

     With everything in readiness adjusted speed to arrive off KAIRIRU
ISLAND prior to dawn.

(All times K)
January 24th:  0330 Dived two and a half miles North of KAIRIRU ISLAND and
proceeded around western end to investigate VICTORIA BAY.  As Dawn was
breaking, sighted small tug with barge alongside and a few moments later two
CHIDORI class torpedo boats.  As this patrol was underway, maneuvered to
avoid, then came back for a better look into this mile deep bay.  There was no
other shipping.

     Went around southwestern tip of KAIRIRU ISLAND to observe the strait
between this and NUSHU ISLAND, a foul weather anchorage.  Kept position
out in, noting the set and drift, and light patches of water marking shallows.
The water in general was a dirty yellowish green.  With these in mind planned
appropriate exit.

     Saw what appeared to be tripod masts on the eastern end of KARSAU
ISLAND, but either a patrol boat or tug in KAIRIRU STRAIT prevented further
observation at this time.  As the masts could well have been those of a ship
behind KARSAU ISLAND, proceeded west hoping to round UNEI ISLAND,
connected to KARSAU by a reef, and observe from between these islands and
the mainland.  However a reef with the seas breaking over it extended far west
of UNEI frustrated this plan.  Went back between KARSAU and KAIRIRU
ISLANDS hoping to see further around the eastern end.  The masts were not
sighted again, but a photograph taken at their observation may yet disclose
their presence.

     At 1318 an object was sighted in the hight [sic] of NUSHU ISLAND,
about five miles farther into the harbor, much resembling the bridge-structure of
a ship.  Commenced approach at three knots.  As the range closed the aspect
of the target changed from that of a tender with several small ships alongside to
that of a destroyer with RO class submarines nested, the latter identified by the
canvas hatch hoods and awnings shown in ONI 14.  The meager observations
permissable [sic] were insufficient for positive identification and the objects
alongside may have been the tug and barge first sighted at dawn in VICTORIA

     It was our intention to fire high speed shots from about 3000 yards,
which would permit us to remain in deep water and facilitate an exit.  However,
on the next observation, when the generated range was 3750, our target, a
PUBUKI class destroyer was underway.  Angle on the bow 10 port, range 3100.
Nothing else was in sight.  Maneuvered for a stern tube shot, but on next
observation target had zigged left giving us a bow tube set up.

     At 1441 fired spread of three torpedoes on 110 degree starboard track,
range 1800 yards, using target speed fifteen since there had been insufficient
time to determine speed by tracking.  Observed torpedoes going aft as sound
indicated 18 knots, so fired another fish with enemy speed 20.

Destroyer avoided by turning away, then circled to the right and headed for us.
Watched him come and kept bow pointed at him.  Delayed firing our fifth
torpedo until the destroyer had closed to about 1200 yards, angle on the bow
10 degrees starboard.  Then to insure maximum likelihood of hitting with our
last torpedo on the forward tubes, with-held fire until range was about 800
yards.  This last one, fired at 1449, clipped him amidships in twenty-five
seconds and broke his back.  The explosion was terrific!

     The topside was covered with Japs on turret tops and in the rigging.
Over 100 members of the crew must have been acting as look-outs.

     We took several pictures, and as her bow was settling fast we went to
150 feet and commenced the nine mile trip out of WEWAK.  Heard her boilers
go in between the noise of continuous shelling from somewhere plus a couple
of aerial bombs.  They were evidently trying to make us lie on the bottom until
their patrol boats could return.

     No difficulty was experienced in piloting without observation out of
WEWAK using sound bearings of beach noises on reefs and beach-heads.
With the aid of a one-knot set we surfaced at 1930 well clear of KAIRIRU and
VALIF ISLANDS.  Cleared area on four engines for 30 minutes on course 000
degrees T. Huge fires were visible in WEWAK HARBOR.  We Wondered if they
had purposely created these fires to silhouette us in case we tried to escape
out of the harbor.

     Slowed to one engine speed (80-90) at 2000.  2230 As the enemy
convoy route from PALAU to WEWAK was known to pass between WUVULU
and AUA ISLANDS commenced search by criss crossing base course at 30
degrees on two hour legs.  2345 Sent report of WEWAK engagement to

January 25th:  (All times K).  0530 Passed between AUA and WUVULU
ISLANDS.  Changed base course for PALAU and went to two engine speed
(80-90) continuing the criss cross search for enemy shipping.  0830 Fired
Tommy gun across bow of small fishing boat and brought him alongside.
Neither our Chamoro or Filipino mess boy could converse with the six Malayans
in the boat, but by sign language we learned that they were originally nine in
number, three having died.  One of the remaining six was apparently blind, a
second quite sick, and a third obviously suffering from scurvy.  Gave them food
and water as they had none and then continued our search for the enemy.
1000 In accordance with Operation Order, shifted from Task FORCE FORTY-
TWO to SubPacFOR without dispatch. Commenced guarding SubPac radio
schedules.  1645 Dived for a half-hour and held various drills.  While
submerged passed under the equator.

January 26th:  (All times K).  0757 Sighted smoke on the horizon, swung ship
towards and commenced surface tracking.  Adjusted course and speed to get
ahead of the enemy.  After three quarters of an hour and when we had
obtained a favorable position with masts of two ships just coming over the
horizon, dived and commenced submerged approach.

     The two freighters were tracked at 10 knots on a steady course of 095
degrees T., which was somewhat puzzling as it led neither to nor from a known
port.  During the approach determined that the best firing position would be
1300 yards on beam of leading ship.  This would permit firing with about 15
degrees right gyro angle on approximately a 105 degree track on the leading
ship, and with about 30 degrees left gyro angle and 60 degrees track on the
second ship 1000 yards astern in column.  However at 1030 found we were too
close to the track for this two ship shot so reversed course to the right and
obtained an identical set-up for a stern tube shot.  At 1041 fired two torpedoes
at the leading ship and seventeen seconds later two at the second freighter.
The first two torpedoes hit their points of aim in bow and stern.  There was
insufficient time allowed for the gyro setting angle indicator and regulator to
catch up with the new set-up cranked into the TDC for the third shot.  This
torpedo passed ahead of the second target.  The fourth torpedo hit him.

     Swung left to bring bow tubes to bear in case these ships did not sink.
At 1045 took sweep around to keep the set-up at hand and observed three
ships close about us.  Our first target was listed badly to starboard and sinking
by the stern, our second was heading directly for us, but at slow speed, and the
third was a huge transport which had evidently been beyond and behind our
second target.

     At 1047 when the transport presented a 90 degree starboard angle on
the bow at 1800 yards range fired spread of three torpedoes from forward
tubes.  The second and third torpedoes hit and stopped him.  We then turned
our attention to the second target which was last observed heading for us.  He
was still coming, yawing somewhat, and quite close.  Fired two bow torpedoes
down his throat to stop him, and as a defensive move.  The second torpedo hit,
but he kept coming and forced us to turn hard left, duck and go at full speed to

     There followed so many explosions that it was impossible to tell just what
was taking place.  Eight minutes later came back to periscope depth, after
reaching 80 feet, to observe that our first target had sunk, our second target still
going, but slowly and with evident steering trouble, and the transport stopped
but still afloat.  Headed for transport and maneuvered for a killer shot.  At 1133
fired a bow torpedo at 1000 yards range, 85 degrees port track, target stopped.
The torpedo wake passed directly under the middle of the ship, but the torpedo
failed to explode.  The transport was firing continuously at the periscope and
torpedo wake with deck guns and rifles.  At 1135 fired a second torpedo with
the same set-up except that the transport had moved ahead a little and turned
towards presenting a 65 degree angle on the bow.  The torpedo wake headed
right for his stack.  The explosion blew her midships section higher than a kite.
Troops commenced jumping over the side like ants, off a hot plate.  Her stern
went up and she headed for the bottom.  Took several pictures.

     At 1136 swung ship and headed for the cripple, our second target, which
was now going away on course 085 degrees.  Tracked her at six knots, but
could not close her as our battery was getting low.

    At 1155 sighted tops of fourth ship to the right of the cripple.  Her thick
masts in line had the appearance of a light cruiser's tops.  Kept heading for
these ships hoping that the last one sighted would attempt to pick up survivors
of the transport.  When the range was about 10,000 yards, however, she turned
right and joined the cripple, her masts bridge structure and engines aft
identifying her as a tanker.  Decided to let these two ships get over the horizon
while we surfaced to charge batteries and destroy the estimated twenty troop
boats now in the water.  These boats were of many types, scows, motor
launches, cabin cruisers and nondescript varieties.  At 1135 made battle
surfaces [sic] and manned all guns.  Fired 4" gun at largest scow loaded with
troops.  Although all troops in this boat apparently jumped in the water our fire
was returned by small caliber machine guns.  We then opened fire with
everything we had.  Then set course 085 degrees at flank speed to overtake
the cripple and tanker.

     At 1530 sighted smoke of the fleeing ships a point on the port bow.
Changed course to intercept.  Closed until the mast tops of both ships were in
sight and tracked them on course 350 degrees.  They had changed course
about 90 degrees to the left apparently to give us the slip.  Maneuvered by
mooring board to get ahead undetected, but kept mast heads in sight
continuously by utilizing No. 1 periscope and locating look-out on top of
periscope shears.  At 1721, one half hour before sunset, with the two ship's
masts in line, dived and commenced submerged approach.  Target zigs
necessitated very high submerged speeds to close the range.  Someone said
the pitometer log indicated as much as 10 knots.  Decided to attack tanker first,
if opportunity permitted, as she was yet undamaged.  At 1829, when it was too
dark to take a periscope range, fired a spread of three bow torpedoes with
generated range 2300 yards, on a 110 degree port track.  One good hit was
observed and heard one minute, twenty-two seconds after firing.  This
apparently stopped him.  Started swing for stern tube shot on the freighter but
he had turned away.

     Surfaced twelve minutes after firing and went after the freighter.  Was
surprised to see the tanker we had just hit still going and on the freighter's
quarter.  We were most fortunate to have a dark night with the moonrise not
until 2132, and to have targets that persisted in staying together.  Our only
handicap was having only four torpedoes left, and these in the stern tubes.

     Made numerous approaches on the tanker first, as he was not firing at
us.  Even attempted backing in at full speed, but the ship would not answer her
rudder quickly enough.  After an hour and a half was able to diagnose their
tactics.  Closed in on tanker from directly astern,  when they zigged to the right
we held our course and speed.  When they zigged back to the left we were on
parallel course at 2000 yards range.  Converged a little on the tankers port
beam, then twisted left with full rudder and power.  He thus gave us a stern
tube shot, range 1850 yards on a 90 degree port track.  At 2025 fired two
torpedoes at tanker the second hitting him just abaft of his midships breaking
his back.  He went down in the middle almost instantly.

     Immediately after firing changed course to head for the freighter and
went ahead full.  Passed the tanker at 1250 yards by SJ radar, at which time
he occupied full field in 7x50 binoculars.  This fixes his length at about 500 feet.
Only the bow section was afloat and its mast canted over when we left him

     At 2036, eleven minutes after firing on the tanker, commenced approach
on our last target.  It was quite evident that this freighter had a good crew
aboard.  They did not miss an opportunity to up-set our approach by zigs, and
kept up incessant gunfire to keep us away.  Much of this firing was at random,
but at 2043 they got our range, placed a shell directly in front of us which
ricocheted over our heads and forced us to dive.

     Our "gun-club" could take a lesson from their powder manufacturers.  It
was truly flashless, a glow about the intensity of a dimmed flash-light being the
only indication that a projectile was on its way.  It is somewhat disconcerting
when a splash is the first indication you are being fired upon.

     We tracked the freighter by sound until the noise of shell splashes let up
then surfaced at 2058, fifteen minutes after diving, and went after him.  Two
minutes later a large search-light commenced sweeping sharp on our port bow,
its rays seemingly just clearing our periscope shears.  Assured this was from a
man-of-war and that the freighter would close it for protection.  Our attack
obviously had to be completed in a hurry.  Headed for the search-light beam
and was most fortunate to have the freighter follow suit.  At 2110 when the
range was 2900 yards by radar, twisted to the left for a straight stern shot,
stopped and steadied.  Three minutes later with angle on the bow 135 degrees
port by radar tracking, fired our last two torpedoes without spread.  They both
hit, the explosions even jarring us on the bridge.

     As the belated escort was now coming over the horizon, silhouetting the
freighter in her search-light we headed away to the east and then five minutes
later to the north.  Fifteen minutes after firing the freighter sank leaving only the
destroyer's search-light sweeping a clear horizon.  It had required four hits from
three separate attacks to sink this ship.

     At 2130 set course 358 degrees for FAIS ISLAND.  At 2345 sent
dispatch to Comsubpac concerning new route and engagement.

     Two men were injured by 20mm explosion.  The cause is covered in the
Report of investigation and treatment in the Health and Habitability Report,
included herewith.

January 27th (All times K):  0720 Sighted smoke over the horizon, commenced
tracking and changed course to intercept.  At 0801 when masts of three ships
were in sight, dived and continued approach.  The mean course was plotted as
146 degrees with the whole convoy zigging simultaneously thirty degrees either
side of base course.  At 0830 the tops and stacks of two more freighters, and
those of a tanker with engines aft were in sight.

     It was our first intention to intercept one of the lagging freighters which
did not appear to be armed, but a zig placed the tanker closest to us.  Surfaced
with range about 12,000 yards and headed at full speed to cut him off.  Trained
gun sharp on starboard bow, then sent pointer and trainer below to standby
with rest of gun crew.  The convoy sighted us in about 10 minutes, commenced
smoking like a Winton, [sic] and headed for a lone rain-squall.  Only two of the
larger freighters opened fire and their splashes were several thousand yards
short.  Their maneuver left the tanker trailing, just where we wanted him.

     At 1000 when we had closed to 7500 yards, however, a single mast
poked out from behind one of the smaller freighters.  Almost immediately the
upper works of a corvette or destroyer were in sight.  Turned tail at full power to
draw the escort as far as possible away from the convoy in case we were
forced to dive, as this would greatly shorten the time he could remain behind to
work us over.

     Ordered contact report to be sent, but could not raise anyone.

     Found that our engineers could add close to another knot to our speed
when they knew we were being pursued.  We actually made about 20 knots,
opening the range to thirteen or fourteen thousand yards in the first twenty
minutes of the chase.  In fact he was smoking so profusely that we called him
an "Antiquated Coal-burning Corvette".  He was just lighting off more boilers
evidently, for seventeen minutes later he changed our tune by boiling over the
horizon, swinging left, and letting fly a broadside at estimated range of 7000
yards.  There was no doubt about his identity then, especially when the salvo
whistled over our heads, the splashes landing about 500 yards directly ahead.
Dived and as we passed periscope depth felt gun splashes directly over-head.
Went to 300 feet and received six depth charges fifteen minutes later.  They
sounded loud, but did no damage.

     Lost sound contact at 1120.  As the DD had some forty miles to catch up
with his leading ships he evidently didn't stay around.  We decided to catch our
breath none-the-less, so stayed deep until 1400 when we surfaced and
commenced running again for FAIS.  At 2058 sent contact report of convoy to

January 28th (All times K):  0830 Sighted FAIS ISLAND fifteen miles ahead.
Dived twenty minutes later on ten mile circle and closed the island at 4 knots.
Took soundings with single signal at 10 minute intervals, and tried echo-ranging
on the reef.  The soundings agreed closely with those on chart 5426.  The
echo-ranging was unsuccessful due to bottom reverberations.  There was no
evidence of a sound listening post.  The trading station is just as shown on the

     Proceeded around the southwestern end of the island one and a half
miles from the beach and located the Phosphorite Works, warehouses and
refinery on and inshore of the prominent point in the middle of the northwest
side of the island.

     Immediately made plans to shell these works that evening at moon-rise
with our few remaining 4" rounds as the large refinery, warehouses, etc.,
offered a splendid target.  This plan was frustrated by the arrival at 1400 of an
Inter-Island Steamer with efficient looking gun mounts forward and aft.  She
was similar to the sketch of the Q-boat, appearing in the GUDGEONS
SECOND Patrol Report except that she was half again as long.  Swung and
moored to the buoy off the Refinery Point, where she would have made a nice
target for one torpedo.  Her tonnage was estimated at 2000.

     The phosphorite is evidently loaded from the crane, visible on the point,
into lighters which were observed moored well inshore, and thus transferred to
the steamers.  At 1600 decided to leave well enough alone, so after taking
several more photographs set course to clear northern end of FAIS ISLAND.

     At 1800 surfaced and went ahead on three main engines on prescribed
route to PEARL HARBOR, T.H.

February 7th:  (All times V-W)  0830 Arrived PEARL.

     2.  WEATHER:

          Excellect weather was experienced throughout the patrol, with
increasing seas on approachiong PEARL HARBOR, T.H.


          A one knot southerly set was ecperienced in the approaches to
and passage through VITIAS STRAITS.  This is contrary to all available




Date     : Time  :  Position    :   Course    :Speed:     Type
1/24/43  : 0630K :Lat. 3-23 S   : Maneuvering :     :2 CHIDORI Cl.
         :       :Long.143-34E  : in Harbor   :     :torpedo boats.
1/24/43  : 1318K :Lat. 3-23 S   : Anchored and: 20  :1 FUBUKI CL.
         :       :Long.143-34E  : maneuvering :     :destroyer.
         :       :              : in harbor.  :     :
1/26/43  : 0845K :Lat. 1-55 N   :  095 T      : 10  :1 AK (DAKAR
         :       :Long.139-14E  :             :     : MARU)
         :       :              :             :     :1 AK (ARIZONA
         :       :              :             :     : MARU)
1/26/43  : 1045K :Lat. 1-55 N   :  095 T      : 10  :1 AP (SEIWA
         :       :Long.139-14E  :             :     : MARU)
1/26/43  : 1155K :Lat  1-55 N   :  350 T      : 10  :1 AO (MANZYU
         :       :long.139-14E  :             :     : MARU)
1/27/43  : 0800K :Lat. 4-15 N   :  146 T      :  9  : 5 AK 1 AO
         :       :Long.140-05E  :             :     :
1/28/43  : 1400K :Lat 9-45 N    : Underway and:     :1 Inter Island
      :       :Long.140-30E  : anchored.   :     :AK Similar to
         :       :              :             :     :but longer than
         :       :              :             :     :the Q-ship des-
         :       :              :             :     :cribed in
         :       :              :             :     :GUDGEON'S 2nd
         :       :              :             :     :War Patrol RPT


         None - one felt.


Attack No.               :     1      :      2     :     3
Date                     :  1/24/43   :   1/24/43  :   1/24/43
Location (Latitude)      : 3d 23' S   : 3d 23' S   : 3d 23' S
         (Longitude)     : 143d 34' E : 143d 34' E : 143d 34' E
No. of torpedoes fired   :     3      :      1     :     2
Hits                     :     0      :      0     :     1
Sunk (Tonnage)           :    ---     :     ---    :    1850
Damaged                  :    ---     :     ---    :    ---
Type of target           :FUBUKI Class:FUBUKI Class:Fubuki Class
                         : Destroyer  : Destroyer  : Destroyer
Range of firing          :     1800   :    1900    :    800
Estimated draft of target:     10'    :     10'    :     10'
Torpedo depth setting    :      2'    :      2'    :      2'
Bow or stern shot        :     Bow    :     Bow    :    Bow
Track angle              :    110 S   :    135 S   :    20 S
Gyro angles              : 358  0  2  :      5     :   15  18
Target speed used        :     15     :     20     :     20
Firing interval          : 11sec 12sec:     ---    :    20 sec
Spread: amount and kind  :2d divergent:            :   None
Type of attack           : Periscope  : Periscope  : Periscope

Attack No.               :     4      :      5     :     6
Date                     :  1/26/43   :   1/26/43  :   1/26/43
Location (Latitude)      : 1d 55' N   : 1d 55' N   : 1d 55' N
         (Longitude)     : 139d 14' E : 139d 14' E : 139d 14' E
No. of torpedoes fired   :     2      :      2     :     3
Hits                     :     2      :      1     :     2
Sunk (Tonnage)           :    7160    :     ---    :    ---
Damaged                  :    ---     :     Yes    :    Yes
Type of target           :DAKAR MARU  :ARIZONA MARU:SEIWA MARU
                         :Cl Freighter:Cl Freighter:Cl Transport
Range of firing          :    1300    :    1550    :    1800
Estimated draft of target:     20'    :     20'    :     20'
Torpedo depth setting    :      8'    :      8'    :      8'
Bow or stern shot        :    Stern   :    Stern   :    Bow
Track angle              :    110 S   :     70 S   :    80 S
Gyro angles              : 193  195   : ?     164  :344 349 345
Target speed used        :     10     :     10     :     10
Firing interval          :    8sec    :    11sec   : 11sec 11sec
Spread: amount and kind  :diverg. diff:diverg. diff:2d divergent
                         :pts of aim  :pts of aim  :
Type of attack           : Periscope  : Periscope  : Periscope

Attack No.               :     7      :      8     :     9
Date                     :  1/26/43   :   1/26/43  :   1/26/43
Location (Latitude)      : 1d 55' N   : 1d 55' N   : 2d 34' N
         (Longitude)     : 139d 14' E : 139d 14' E : 139d 25' E
No. of torpedoes fired   :     2      :      2     :     3
Hits                     :     1      : 1 (+ 1 dud):     1
Sunk (Tonnage)           :    ---     :     7120   :    ---
Damaged                  :    Yes     :     ---    :    Yes
Type of target           :ARIZONA MARU:SEIWA MARU  :MANZYU MARU
                         :Cl freighter:Cl Transport:Cl Tanker
Range of firing          :     800    : 1100 & 900 :   2200
Estimated draft of target:     20'    :     20'    :     20'
Torpedo depth setting    :      8'    :      8'    :      8'
Bow or stern shot        :     Bow    :     Bow    :    Bow
Track angle              :     20 S   :     50 P   :   110 P
Gyro angles              :  349  349  :  359  359  :353 351 352
Target speed used        :      9     :      9     :      9
Firing interval          :    10sec   : 1min 26sec : 23sec 28sec
Spread: amount and kind  :    None    :     None   :1d divergent
Type of attack           : Periscope  : Periscope  : Periscope

Attack No.               :     10     :      11    :
Date                     :  1/26/43   :   1/26/43  :
Location (Latitude)      : 2d 37' N   : 2d 30' N   :
         (Longitude)     : 139d 42' E : 139d 44' E :
No. of torpedoes fired   :     2      :      2     :
Hits                     :     1      :      2     :
Sunk (Tonnage)           :    6520    :     9500   :
Damaged                  :    ---     :     ---    :
Type of target           :MANZYU MARU :ARIZONA MARU:
                         :Cl Tanker   :Cl Freighter:
Range of firing          :     1800   :    3500    :
Estimated draft of target:     20'    :     20'    :
Torpedo depth setting    :      2'    :      2'    :
Bow or stern shot        :    Stern   :    Stern   :
Track angle              :    100 P   :    145 P   :
Gyro angles              :  167  165  :  175  175  :
Target speed used        :      9     :      9     :
Firing interval          :    18 sec  :    15 sec  :
Spread: amount and kind  :1d divergent:    None    :
Type of attack           :Night surf. :Night surf. :


         The enemy apparently uses gun-fire whenever possible as a
nuisance factor to keep a submarine down.  The fire of their
merchantmen was in general inaccurate, but their destroyers should not
be underestimated.

         Air-craft bombs were evidently dropped as a nuisance
factor also, in an attempt to make us lie on the bottom.  The noise
only is disturbing.

         The depth charging consisted of a single pattern laid on
the last known position, with destroyer speed about 35 knots.



        10.  COMMUNICATIONS:

         Radio reception was very good and was complete.  No
attempt was made to use the underwater loop for submerged reception.
Two messages were sent to ComSubPac from contact area.  In neither
case were we able to reach NPM and the message was given to an
Australian station in each case.

         Last serial received:    SubPac Serial     14

         Last message sent:       WAHOO 052045 of February.


         Sound conditions were generally fair to poor.  Propellers
were picked up at ranges of 4000 to 5000 yards.  At WEWAK BEACH noises
were very distinct from each island and were used to check the DR
position.. While evading attack by destroyer January 27 in 4-31N; 140-
40E, two density layers were encountered.


         The health of the crew for this patrol can only be
classified as "fair".  In addition to the injuries there were a few
cases of boils and numerous cases of colds.  The latter can be
attributed to the sudden changes of air conditions we were compelled
to go through during the actions.  The crew had been under
considerable strain for about three days and their resistance had been
definitely lowered.

         The injuries were as follows:

         One man received a sever [sic] laceration of the right
forearm which required seven stitches.  Two men were injured by the
misfire of the 20mm gun.  In one of these cases it was deemed
necessary to amputate two toes of the right foot.  Due to a shortage
of surgical instruments a pair of sterilized side cutters were used to
cut portions of the shattered bone.  Because of the phalanges in the
second toe being completely shattered it was not sutured closed but
left open to allow free drainage.  A generous amount of Sulfanilamide
powder was used.  The other man was wounded in the shoulder but, no
lead or foreign body could be located.  Three sutures were used in
closing the laceration.  This man was back to duty in three days with
no complications.

             Habitability was excellent.

        13.  MILES STEAMED:

         Steamed 6454 miles enroute BRISBANE to PEARL HARBOR, plus
approximately 100 miles at full power during attacks and counter-
attacks.  Total 6554 miles.

        14.  FUEL OIL EXPENDED:

             92,020 gallons; 14.1 gallons per mile.


             Torpedoes - none.  Other factors - indefinite.

        16.  PATROL ENDED:

             By orders of ComSubPac, after expenditure of all

        17.  REMARKS:

             (a) The fire control party of this ship was completely
reorganized prior to and during this patrol .  The Executive Officer,
Lieutenant R.H. O'KANE in the co-approach officer.  He made all
observations through the periscope and fired all torpedoes.  The
Commanding Officer studies the various setups by the use of the Iswas
and analyzing the T.D.C. and does the conning.  A third officer
assists the Commanding Officer in analyzing the problem by studying
the plot and the data sheets.  On the surface the Executive Officer
mans the T.B.T., and makes observations and does the firing;  The
Commanding Officer conns.

             This type of fire control party relieves the Commanding
Officer of a lot of strain and it gives excellent training to all
hands, especially the Executive Officer.  It is recommended that other
ships five it consideration and thought.

             (b) The conduct and disciplane [sic] of the officers and
men of this ship while under fire were superb.  They enjoyed nothing
better than a good fight.  I commend them all for a job well done,
especially Lieutenant R.H. O'KANE the Executive Officer, who is cool
and deliberate under fire.  O'KANE is the fightingest naval officer I
have ever seen and is worthy of the highest of praise.  I commend
Lieutenant O'KANE for being an inspiration to the ship.

Serial   0198                           Care of Fleet Post Office,
                                        San Francisco, California,
                                        February 12, 1943

From:       The Commander Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet.
To  :       Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet.

Subject:    U.S.S. WAHOO (SS238) - Report of Third War Patrol.

Enclosure:  (A)  Copy of Subject War Patrol.
            (B)  Comsubron 10 conf. ltr. Serial 011 of February 8,

    1.      The Commander Submarine Force, Pacific Fleet, takes great
pleasure in commending the Commanding Officer, Officers, and crew of
the WAHOO on an outstanding war patrol.  This patrol speaks for
itself, and the judgement and decisions displayed by the Commanding
Officer were sound.

    2.      All attacks were carried out in a most aggressive manner,
and it clearly demonstrates what can be done by a submarine that
retains the initiative.

    3.      The WAHOO is credited with inflicting the following damage
on the enemy:


            1 destroyer (ASASHIO Class)       -    1500 tons
            1 freighter (DAKAR MARU Class)    -    7160 tons
            1 freighter (ARIZONA MARU Class)  -    9500 tons
            1 tanker (MANZYU MARU Class)      -    6520 tons
            1 transport (SEIWA MARU Class)    -    7210 tons
                                          TOTAL: 31,890 tons

                                            J. H. Brown, Jr.,
List III: SS
  P1(5), EN3(5), Z1(5),
  Comsublant (2), X3(1)
  Comsubsowespac (2)
  Subschool NL (2)
  Comtaskfor 42 (2)

  ** signature **
Flag Secretary

Back to Wahoo Home